FRIDAY, January 07, 2006
General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Present:------------- E. Renteria - Chairman VVGSQ
R. Portune - Vice-Chairman VVGSQ
R. Lott - Secretary/Treasurer
J. Langnese - Outside Coordinator
H. Barton - Member-at-Large ( North Block)
M. Atkins - Member-at-Large (H-Unit)
Meeting called to order at 0805 hours by Chairman Renteria. Roll was called. A quorum of voting members was present.
Chairman Renteria asked everyone to remove their hats for a moment of silence for America’s Prisoners of War, her Missing in Action, those Killed in Action, and our troops deployed around the world.
Members were asked to indicate if they received their minutes of the last meeting. The following corrections were made to the minutes:
- The day on our minutes from the last meeting was changed from Sunday to Friday. A motion was made to accept the minutes of the December 02, 2005, general membership meeting as written. Motion carried.
TREASURER REPORT:(Mr. Lott) A summary of current account status was presented to the group and no questions were posed.
OUTSIDE COORDINATOR:(Mr. Langnese) The Group received the following correspondences:
Judith Manley She sent us two letters ***Tony Thompson Georgia State Prison Chapter 205 VVA Auburn, New York Correctional Facility Rev. Raymond Dugdale N.I.V.N. – he sent a book Craig McLaren N.I.V.N. VVA News Letter (Between the Lines) Col. Weber Danny Williams Recently released Vet – 2 letters John Worsham N.I.V.N. – MD Incarcerated Vets Anne and Aisling Thanks for the support Robert D’Avanzo N.I.V.N. Michigan Correctional Facility James Lyman Jr. (Vets News) Massachusetts Veterans In Prison Christmas Cards from: Don Lassen; Dick Talbott; Richard Becker; Kyle Terzian
*** We encourage you in your endeavors to start a Veterans group at Georgia State Prison. If there is anything that we can do to help you, please let us know. If your Warden has any questions, you can have him contact Mr. W. Jeppeson at San Quentin Appeals Department. He is the Chief Sponsor of the VVGSQ. Good luck!!
BY-LAWS: (Mr. Northrop) Nothing new.
NON-PROFIT: (Mr. Singler) About to get the ball rolling, we finally heard back.
SOCIAL (January 2006): (Mr. Northrop) We are set. The programs will be passed out. All workers are set to show up at 0830 hours. Mr. Northrop emphasized that NOTHING will be taken back.
FOOD SALE/FUNDRAISER: (Mr. Lott) The Foodsale for Feb/March is coming together nicely.
JOINT VENTURE PROJECT/VIDEO CAPTIONING: (Mr. Haskin) Nothing to report at this time.
COLOR GUARD: (Mr. Caffale) Nothing to report at this time.
CAMARADERIE NIGHT: (Mr. Faison) We will let you know later in the month.
R.E.A.L. CHOICES: (Mr. Stipe) Mr. Stipe informed the members that Lt. Crittendon was a no show at their last meeting, so they are still waiting.
STAMPS FOR SOLDIERS: (Mr. Leavitt) There are 7,000 more waiting to be mailed out; members are reminded to continue to support this worthwhile function.
GRANTS: (Mr. Langnese) Nothing new at this time.
HOLIDAY TOY PROGRAM: (Mr. Stipe) Mr. Stipe thanked the following men who donated candy: Blair, Carter, Faison, Hagan, Langnese, Miller, Northrop, Portune, Renteria, Singler, Stipe, Wells, Thomas,. There were approximately 384 children given gifts, and all excess toys went Ewen McKechnie for the Sheriff's
- Mr. Sanders brought an issue concerning the listing of donations before the group. A motion was placed before the group to vote on publicly listing those who donate for our functions. The motion carried, and from now on those who donate to our functions will be mentioned in the minutes.
- The group was thanked for their efforts in the Holiday Toy Program, and Santa (Mr. Renteria) was applauded for a great job.
- A motion was brought before the group to donate money to Operation:Mom. The group decided and voted to donate $300.00 to this honorable group of Mothers.
- Deborah Sheldon turned in an application for the position of Co-Sponsor of the VVGSQ. The Membership voted and accepted the application. Welcome aboard Ms. Sheldon.
- Mr. Langnese brought an issue before the group to donate money to the troops who need clothes coming of the lines. It was decided to wait and discuss this issue next meeting.
- The group voted and decided to send Carol Jackson and June Fesler to dinner on us. They will be receiving gift certificates from Outback Steakhouse.
- Mr. Portune brought an issue before the group to donate art kits to disabled vets. This issue was tabled until next meeting.
Two new members were voted into full membership. Welcome aboard Mr. Alexander and Mr. Shields.
We would like to say goodbye to Mr. Ricci. This was his last meeting before he paroled.
CLOSURE: A motion to close the meeting was made, motion carried and meeting closed at 0848 hours.
NEXT MEETING: SUNDAY, January 29, 2006
W. Jeppeson, CCII Specialist
Comittee Activity Chairman Housing
By-laws Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 By-laws Mr. Biggs 2-N-37 Camaraderie Night Mr. Faison 1-N-65 Color Guard Mr. Caffale 3-N-63 Food Sale/Fundraising Mr. Lott 4-N-10 Grants Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 Happy Hats (stand down) Joint Venture Mr. Haskin 1-N-16 Non-profit Mr. Singler 3-N-39 Public Information Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 R.E.A.L. Choices Mr. Stipe 3-N-25 Scholarship Committee Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Social Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 Stamps for Soldiers Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Holiday Toy Program Mr. Stipe 3-N-25
If you would like further information on any of the projects, activities, or goals of the V.V.G.S.Q., or would like to participate, please contact the following:
Inmate Program Coordinator's Office
Attn: Carol Jackson/V.V.G.S.Q.
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin, CA 94964
For further information about the Vietnam Veterans Group of San Quentin (VVGSQ), please see our web site at: http://vvgsq.tripod.com