FRIDAY, January 29, 2006
General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Present:------------- E. Renteria - Chairman VVGSQ
R. Portune - Vice-Chairman VVGSQ
R. Lott - Secretary/Treasurer
J. Langnese - Outside Coordinator
H. Barton - Member-at-Large ( North Block)
M. Atkins - Member-at-Large (H-Unit)
Meeting called to order at 0756 hours by Chairman Renteria. Roll was called. A quorum of voting members was present.
Chairman Renteria asked everyone to remove their hats for a moment of silence for America’s Prisoners of War, her Missing in Action, those Killed in Action, and our troops deployed around the world.
Members were asked to indicate if they received their minutes of the last meeting. The following corrections were made to the minutes:
- It was brought to my attention that thank you’s were left off our last minutes to supporters who had sent in Christmas Cards. I would like to send out thanks to Col. Jackson and “The General” Terry and Ruth Wolfe, Ewen McKechnee, Marian K., William Matty, Don Z. (Swprds to Plow Shares), Jim Kenny (VSO San Mateo), Ron and Carrie Cutting, Bob and Jean Gagnon (Golden Gate Chapter 82nd Airborne), and last but not least Rev. Dugdale. Sorry for missing you all.
A motion was made to accept the minutes of the January 7, 2006, general membership meeting as written. Motion carried.
TREASURER REPORT:(Mr. Lott) A summary of current account status was presented to the group and no questions were posed.
OUTSIDE COORDINATOR:(Mr. Langnese) The Group received the following correspondences:
VVA Chapter 563 Newsletter, Petaluma, CA VVA Chapter 20 Between the Lines – Rochester, NY Ron Trovato VVA Chapter 20 Sent a letter of support Ret. Col. Franklin from Pensacola FL Sent a letter of support Bill Anderson - NIVN from Ephrata, WA Sent a letter of support Rev. Raymond Dugdale – NIVN from Ridgefield, WA Sent a letter of support VVA Chapter 205 – NIVN from Auburn, NY Newsletter Dennis Elliot – NIVN from Joliet, IL Fighting like us Pres. VVA Chapter 190 - NIVN Almore, AL Lt. Col. Lori Noyes, Deputy Commander Ramstein Cadet Squadron She explained that they have enough clothing – need phone cards Eugene Moore Stamps for Soldiers – sent 3 photos VVA Chapter 489 Pres. Al Blanche Newsletter from Attica, NY Allen Gunderson Sent letter from Atmore, AL Judith Manley Sent letter and photos from social
BY-LAWS: (Mr. Northrop) By-Laws committee is waiting for a copy of our new approval By-Laws.
NON-PROFIT: (Mr. Singler) We sent 14 questions to Mr. Peter Forbes who is the National Commander of VVN about Non-Profit status.
SCHOLARSHIP:(Mr. Leavitt) The applications were all here and ready to be stuffed after the meeting. The Social will be June 10th. The Pinole tribe is paying for the postage.
SOCIAL (January 2006): (Mr. Northrop) The Social was a great success and a lot of fun. There was plenty of food and drinks and there were no complaints. If there are any comments concerning this event, direct them to Mr. Northrop.
FOOD SALE/FUNDRAISER: (Mr. Lott) The list is final, and will be out February 1st. Mr. Parker, Mr. Shields, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Diggs and Mr. Stetler volunteered to do the duty of passing out and collecting the slips.
COLOR GUARD: (Mr. Caffale) Nothing to report at this time.
CAMARADERIE NIGHT: (Mr. Faison) Nothing to report at this time.
R.E.A.L. CHOICES: (Mr. Stipe) The group was informed that Team C of Real Choices will have children on the second and fourth Saturday through the month of April.
STAMPS FOR SOLDIERS: (Mr. Leavitt) There are 4,000 more waiting to be mailed out; members are reminded to continue to support this worthwhile function. We also received 3 photos of the stamps being used to decorate different items.
GRANTS: (Mr. Langnese) Mr. Langnese informed the group that he has written to the Elks Lodge and informed them of what we do. We are now waiting for a response.
HOLIDAY TOY PROGRAM: (Mr. Stipe) Mr. Stipe informed the group that all the thank you letters have been written and are waiting on the Warden’s signature. He also stated that all the 922 donation forms have been completed. The Holiday Toy Program Committee was stood down at this meeting.
- The issue concerning the craft kits for wounded/disabled soldiers has been tabled until further information can be gathered.
- The issue brought before the group by Mr. Langnese concerning clothing for wounded soldiers was addressed. It was discovered that they no longer need toiletries or clothing but phone cards are in great demand. We then tabled this issue until further information can be gathered to maximize this effort.
- The group welcomed Mr. Mortensen back from his absence.
- Mr. Merjil was introduced and welcomed as a new applicant for membership.
- The group voted Mr. Parker and Mr. Allen into full membership.
- The group voted and decided to send Carol Jackson and June Fesler to dinner on us. They will be receiving gift certificates from Outback Steakhouse.
- Mr. Portune brought an issue before the group to donate art kits to disabled vets. This issue was tabled until next meeting.
CLOSURE: A motion to close the meeting was made, motion carried and meeting closed at 0831 hours.
NEXT MEETING: SUNDAY, February 26, 2006
W. Jeppeson, CCII Specialist
Comittee Activity Chairman Housing
By-laws Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 By-laws Mr. Biggs 2-N-37 Camaraderie Night Mr. Faison 1-N-65 Color Guard Mr. Caffale 3-N-63 Food Sale/Fundraising Mr. Lott 4-N-10 Grants Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 Happy Hats (stand down) Joint Venture Mr. Haskin 1-N-16 Non-profit Mr. Singler 3-N-39 Public Information Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 R.E.A.L. Choices Mr. Stipe 3-N-25 Scholarship Committee Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Social Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 Stamps for Soldiers Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Holiday Toy Program (stand down) 3-N-25
If you would like further information on any of the projects, activities, or goals of the V.V.G.S.Q., or would like to participate, please contact the following:
Inmate Program Coordinator's Office
Attn: Carol Jackson/V.V.G.S.Q.
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin, CA 94964
For further information about the Vietnam Veterans Group of San Quentin (VVGSQ), please see our web site at: http://vvgsq.tripod.com