Sunday, June 25, 2006
General Membership Meeting
Executive Committee Present:------------- R. Portune - Vice-Chairman VVGSQ
R. Lott - Secretary/Treasurer
J. Langnese - Outside Coordinator
H. Barton - Member-at-Large (North Block)
M. Atkins - Member-at-Large (H-Unit)
Meeting called to order at 0820 hours by Vice-Chairman Portune. Roll was called. A quorum of voting members was present.
Vice-Chairman Portune asked everyone to remove their hats for a moment of silence for America’s Prisoners of War, her Missing in Action, those Killed in Action, and our troops deployed around the world.
Members were asked to indicate if they received their minutes of the last meeting. A motion was made to accept the minutes of the May 2006 meeting. Motion carried.
TREASURER REPORT:(Mr. Lott) A summary of current account status was presented to the group and no questions were posed.
OUTSIDE COORDINATOR:(Mr. Langnese) The Group received the following correspondences:
VVA Chapter 20, Between The Lines, Rochester New York Thanks Ron for mentioning VVGSQ and other incarcerated chapters. Lori Noyes, Lt. Col., Deputy Commander, Ramstein Cadet Squadron Letter and Photo thanking VVGSQ for the phone cards to give to our wounded troops. Army Echoes - news bulletin for the retired soldier Good info on retired army benefits James L. Weber - Veterans Workforce Specialist - letter Supporter for VVGSQ's Veterans Issues Group Debbie Taylor - outside sponsor We missed you, Debbie, at our social Tony Thompson - NIVN 2-letters Smith State Prison, Glenville, GA 30427 Barney McClendon - 2 letters It is great to hear from you! Col. Joseph R. Franklin (USA-Ret.) NIVN supporter - served 35 years at West Point Robert D'Avanzo - VVA chapter 371 "S" Mich. Correctional, Jackson, Mich. - Letter Jesus Wept Prison Ministries Info on Prisoner's Resources Newsletters Craig McClaren VVA 190, NIVN The Eagle Speaks Newsletter - Atmore, AL Static Line Publication College Park, GA Frank Schock - College Park, GA Supports us through his articles and letters
BY-LAWS: (Mr. Northrop) Stated that no outside affiliate can commit the VVGSQ to anything.
NON-PROFIT: (Mr. Singler) We are waiting for By-Laws from Mr. Chaney to see if we can join with them.
SCHOLARSHIP:(Mr. Leavitt) Nothing to report.
SOCIAL (June 10, 2006): (Mr. Northrop) We are beginning to put ideas together for out November Social.
FOOD SALE/FUNDRAISER: (Mr. Lott) Nothing to report at this time.
COLOR GUARD: (Mr. Caffale) Nothing to Report.
CAMARADERIE NIGHT: (Mr. Faison) Nothing to report at this time.
R.E.A.L. CHOICES: (Mr. Stipe) Signed up the Mainline and asked group members to participate. The commitment is for the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month.
STAMPS FOR SOLDIERS: (Mr. Leavitt) There are 6,000 more waiting to be mailed out; members are reminded to continue to support this worthwhile function.
GRANTS: (Mr. Langnese) We are writing to a new place, and waiting for this months minutes to send along.
JOINT VENTURE:Nothing new to report.
- The 300 phone cards that were donated to Operation:MOM have now made it into their hands.
- Group members were reminded that elections are going to be held next month.
- Mr. Singler proposed that the group send the Jackson's and the Cutting's out to dinner for their 50th Wedding Anniversaries. The group voted and passed this proposal.
- Mr. Stipe was appointed as Chairman for this years Holiday Toy Program Committee.
- Mr. Northrop was appointed as Chairman for the November Social Committee.
- Mr. Barton proposed that the group purchase and embroider bandanas with the VVGSQ and Operation:MOM Logos for the next packing day. This proposal passed so that more information could be gathered. - The group voted to add two additional Co-Sponsors, Loretta Shaeffer and Laura Bowman. Ms. Shaeffer's application was approved, and Ms. Bowman's application was tabled until a later date. - Mr. Northrop exteded thanks to Mr. Miller for all the hard work that he put into jewelry boxes and the painting of the group pushcart. Thanks Dave!! - Mr. Uribe was voted into full membership status in the VVGSQ; welcome aboard.
CLOSURE: A motion to close the meeting was made, motion carried and meeting closed at 0904 hours.
NEXT MEETING: Sunday, July 30, 2006
W. Jeppeson, CCII Specialist
Comittee Activity Chairman Housing
By-laws Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 By-laws Mr. Biggs 2-N-37 Camaraderie Night Mr. Faison 1-N-65 Color Guard Mr. Caffale 3-N-63 Food Sale/Fundraising Mr. Lott 4-N-10 Grants Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 Happy Hats (stand down) Joint Venture Mr. Haskin 1-N-16 Non-profit Mr. Singler 3-N-39 Public Information Mr. Langnese 3-N-92 R.E.A.L. Choices Mr. Stipe 3-N-25 Scholarship Committee Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Social Mr. Northrop 3-N-71 Stamps for Soldiers Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89 Holiday Toy Program (stand down)
If you would like further information on any of the projects, activities, or goals of the V.V.G.S.Q., or would like to participate, please contact the following:
Inmate Program Coordinator's Office
Attn: Carol Jackson/V.V.G.S.Q.
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin, CA 94964
For further information about the Vietnam Veterans Group of San Quentin (VVGSQ), please see our web site at: http://vvgsq.tripod.com