SUNDAY, October 30, 2005
General Membership Meeting

Executive Committee Present:-------------
R. Portune - Vice-Chairman VVGSQ
R. Lott - Secretary/Treasurer
J. Langnese - Outside Coordinator
H. Barton - Member-at-Large ( North Block)

Meeting called to order at 0822 hours by Vice-Chairman Portune. Roll was called. A quorum of voting members was present.

Vice-Chairman Portune asked everyone to remove their hats for a moment of silence for America’s Prisoners of War, her Missing in Action, those Killed in Action, and our troops deployed around the world.

Members were asked to indicate if they received their minutes of the last meeting. No corrections or additions were noted. A motion was made to accept the minutes of the September 25, 2005, general membership meeting as written. Motion carried.

  • TREASURER REPORT:(Mr. Lott) A summary of current account status was presented to the group and no questions were posed.

  • OUTSIDE COORDINATOR:(Mr. Langnese) The Group received the following correspondences:



    Judith Manley 2 letters – looking forward to see us
    Tony Thompson N.I.V.N.
    John Higgins N.I.V.N.
    Chapter 205 VVA (2 letters) Auburn, New York Correctional Facility
    Rev. Raymond Dugdale N.I.V.N.
    Bill Anderson (2 letters) Bill is praying for our toy program, thank you for your prayers Bill!
    VVA News Letter (Between the Lines-2 issues)
    Col. Weber
    Dr. Karen Stanley
    Swords ot Plow Shares (2 notes)
    Appreciation to Safeway

    Note: - Jeff has an index of addresses for Army records

    - Jeff also has an offer from Guideposts to send their publication and a Christmas card to a soldier overseas for a $3.00 (three dollar) donation.

    - Jeff has internet sites for the Employment Development Department


  • BY-LAWS: (Mr. Northrop) We are still trying to locate the newest set of By-Laws that has been signed.

  • NON-PROFIT: (Mr. Singler) Mr. Singler stated that the VVnW had been contacted, and we are now waiting for the response (mail is slow).

  • SOCIAL (December 2005): (Mr. Northrop) As of this date, we are still planning to have the Social on December 10. However, we may need to be flexible. The group voted on the type of meal to be served, and the winning decision was the pork meal. Mr. Northrop stated that those people who donate to the cause, and do not eat pork, will not be forgotten. Further information considering the time and date will follow once we know more. We also want to express that if you do not have the means to donate, don't worry you are taken care of.

    ATTENTION: The Social has been postponed due to the event scheduled in December. We will discuss this further at our next meeting.

  • FOOD SALE/FUNDRAISER: (Mr. Lott) We have begun to put together the list for the February Foodsale. Input from the members is encouraged (thanks Stan and Geo for the 2 pages). If you want to suggest something, drop it by 4-N-10.

  • JOINT VENTURE PROJECT/VIDEO CAPTIONING: (Mr. Haskin) Nothing to report at this time.

  • COLOR GUARD: (Mr. Caffale) Nothing to report at this time.

  • CAMARADERIE NIGHT: (Mr. Faison) The next camaraderie night is still up in the air. If it comes about, it will be the 12th of November.

  • R.E.A.L. CHOICES: (Mr. Stipe) Mr. Stipe informed the members that the last meeting with the kids was canceled due to the lockdown. They are waiting for the new schedule from Lt. Crittendon.

  • STAMPS FOR SOLDIERS: (Mr. Leavitt) Three more bags of stamps were sent out; members are reminded to continue to support this worthwhile function.

  • GRANTS: (Mr. Langnese) Mr. Langnese stated that he received two letters concerning grants. One was form the grant writer at the VA. She suggested to write the local VSO regarding agencies willing to match our funds. The second came from PBS. They thanked us for watching PBS, but unfortunately there was nothing they could do to help us.

    Mr. Stipe informed the group that everything is moving smoothly. The posters will go up in the building this week. He also stated that Judith and Mary want to come help, and there is a possibility to have a short meet and greet when they come.



    NEW MEMBERS - Mr. Stetler has fulfilled his probationary period, and was voted into the group as a full voting member

    - We also welcomed two new members into the group. Mr. Allen (HB) and Mr. Parker (who was not Present due to lockdown) Welcome aboard.

    SPECIAL HELLO AND GET WELL: The group wanted to extend a special hello and speedy recovery to Aisling and Ann (aka AnnaBanana). You are in our thoughts and prayers; get well soon.

    CLOSURE: A motion to close the meeting at 0917 hours was made, motion carried and meeting closed at 0948 hours.

    NEXT MEETING: SUNDAY, November 27, 2005

    Robert Lott
    R. Lott

    W. Jeppeson
    W. Jeppeson, CCII Specialist
    V.V.G.S.Q. Sponsor

    Comittee ActivityChairmanHousing
    By-laws Mr. Northrop 3-N-71
    By-laws Mr. Biggs 2-N-37
    Camaraderie Night Mr. Faison 1-N-65
    Color Guard Mr. Caffale 3-N-63
    Food Sale/Fundraising Mr. Lott 4-N-10
    Grants Mr. Langnese 3-N-92
    Happy Hats (stand down)
    Joint Venture Mr. Haskin 1-N-16
    Non-profit Mr. Singler 3-N-39
    Public Information Mr. Langnese 3-N-92
    R.E.A.L. Choices Mr. Stipe 3-N-25
    Scholarship Committee Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89
    Social Mr. Northrop 3-N-71
    Stamps for Soldiers Mr. Leavitt 3-N-89
    Holiday Toy Program Mr. Stipe 3-N-25


    If you would like further information on any of the projects, activities, or goals of the V.V.G.S.Q., or would like to participate, please contact the following:

    Inmate Program Coordinator's Office
    Attn: Carol Jackson/V.V.G.S.Q.
    San Quentin State Prison
    San Quentin, CA 94964
    Phone: 415-455-5090
    Fax: 415-455-5180

    For further information about the Vietnam Veterans Group of San Quentin (VVGSQ), please see our web site at:

    Make your own free website on